Since the first International Statistical Seismology (StatSei) workshop held at Hangzhou, China, this workshop has held nearly biannually, in 2001 at Wellington, New Zealand, in 2003 at Juriquilla, Mexico, in 2006 at Hayama, Japan, in 2007 at Erice, Italy, in 2009 at Lake Tahoe, US, in 2011 at Santorini, Greece. This time StatSei8 is hosted by School of Earth and Space Sciences, Peking University and Institute of Geophysics, China Earthquake Administration. This workshop is also a memorial meeting of Prof Ma Li, who was the key organizer of the first StatSei workshop and passed away in 2008, for her contribution in this field.
The purpose of this workshop is to provide statisticians and seismologists with an opportunity for discussing problems related to statistical analysis of earthquake occurrence and forecasting, as well as to defining future research directions. Topics explored have included the statistical behavior of earthquake occurrence and patterns, earthquake triggering, earthquake physics, dynamic earthquake hazard estimation, time-dependent earthquake forecasting, and forecast evaluations. The scientific program this time will focus on current topics in statistical seismology, including:
- Triggering; rate/state dependent friction law in relation to seismicity rate changes
- Seismicity studies including statistical modeling, e.g., recurrence, characteristic earthquakes, declustering, etc.
- Time-dependent models for earthquake forecast and hazard assessment
- Prospective and retrospective testing of earthquake forecasts
- Global collaboration in earthquake predictability research: the study of earthquake predictability as a system-level science approach.
- Estimation of maximum magnitude
- Case applications of statistical seismology to large-to-giant earthquakes, especially recent disastrous earthquakes in Sumatra, Wenchuan, Tohoku, Christchurch, etc.
- Education of statistical seismology.
StatSei 8 will include three full days of lectures, discussions, and poster presentations (August 11-15, 2013), and followed by a field trip on August 15, 2013.
|Submitting Abstract||1stMarch ~
|Grant Application||1st January ~ 31st March, 2013|
|Registration||1st March ~
|Sending Invitation Letter||1st April ~ 15th June, 2013|
List of previous workshops(History)
|StatSei7||Institute of Geodynamics, National Observatory of Athens, Thera (Santorini) - Greece
25 - 27 May, 2011
|StatSei6||Southern California Earthquake Center at the Granlibakken Conference Center in California, USA
12 - 16 April, 2009
|StatSei5||"Ettore Majorana" Foundation and Centre for Scientific Culture, Erice, Italy
31 May - 6 June, 2007
|StatSei4||Graduate University for Advanced Studies, Shonan Village campus, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
9 - 13 January, 2006
|StatSei3||Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Centro de Ceociencias, UNAM Campus Juriquilla, Queretaro, Mexico
4 - 7 May, 2003
|StatSei2||Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
18 - 21 April, 2001
|StatSei1||China Earthquake Administration, Hangzhou, China
16 - 20 June, 1998